Monday, March 16, 2009

Lilly Conference 2009

My presentation (Improving the Critical Thinking Skills of Psychology Students) was on Friday night at 5:45p. I think it was a decent crowd for a Friday night! The presentation went well, and there was some really good discussion afterwards about ways to help facilitate these skills with students in various disciplines. There were a number of faculty members present who indicated that critical thinking and writing skills are the two biggest barriers within their classrooms. I shared some of my techniques ("Dear Doc," Small group discussions, media integration) and those in attendance did the same.

On Satuday, two sessions that were particularly engaging were the "Hip-Hop as Critical Pedagogy" and "Service-Learning in the Social Sciences." The first session was interesting because it was very hands-on and exciting. Although I feel as if I already use hip-hop as a way to connect certain concepts together in psychology, it was good to discuss new ways to do that. The second session was very interesting because it was a step-by-step instructional session on how to develop, implement, and evaluate service learning projects. I am familiar with how to do them from the organizational standpoint, but wasn't as comfortable coming at it from the academic side.

Overall, I had a great time at Lilly (as usual). The food is always great!

No comments: