Wednesday, December 3, 2008

E-Learn Conference in Las Vegas

I had an opportunity to attend the E-Learn Conference in Las Vegas, NV. I must say that with the long flight, time difference, long line at check-in and lack of food, I was extremely exhausted. After I had gotten over jet lag, I registered for the conference. I was excited to see the variety of interesting workshops in the registration manual. The global contribution to this conference was amazing. There were people from Japan, Australia, South Africa and a host of other countries who shared knowledge about there research in education.

The E-Learn conference was different from what I was used to. Instead of having thirty minute or hour long sessions, most sessions ended up being in twenty minute increments scattered across the conference area. Which I found difficult when trying to attend more than one session. Though frustrated, some of the sessions that I attended were enlightening and benefical. I especially liked the session on "Second Life," a virtual reality enviroment that uses "avatars"(virtual person) to relate or communicate with people. The facilitator began to show the audience how this program could be used to reach and connect with students. This website has virtual campuses such as: Michigan State University, Duke University as well as community colleges. I began to think, "Is Winston-Salem State University ready for this level of technology"? No, I think that we have a long way to go, but attending conferences such as this one, can start the thinking "outside the box."

The conference was filled with innovative ways of using technology and online tools to initiate response and promote learning.

No comments: